Heartbeat Christmas Wish
Community Family Sponsorship Instructions
Thank you very much for adopting a military family.
You are now part of a great program designed to give back to our military families who have sacrificed for our country’s freedom. We know you will be blessed this holiday season.
Below are a few instructions and reminders to ensure that the program runs smoothly.
1. Please fill out the Community Family Sponsorship Form (link below) and submit it online. While we cannot match families to a specific city or county, most of our WA state Wounded Warriors are south in the Tacoma area.
We will begin matching families to adopt in early November and continue through mid December 2017.
*** IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE WASHINGTON STATE **We can only try to match families in other states if we’re contacted by military families in your area. IF you are outside of WA state and wish to adopt please sign up online. **
2. You will be given an information sheet that includes contact information and a Christmas Wish List for your military family. Please contact the military family within 2-3 days. Contact means you have actually spoken to or corresponded by email and gotten a response. Then please contact Kendra at email@example.com and let her know contact was made with your adopted family. It is important you contact your military family before buying the gifts so they know they have been adopted. If you have questions regarding the Wish List please ask your assigned military family or contact Heartbeat. When calling your military family, please identify yourself and let them know you are adopting them through Heartbeat Serving Wounded Warriors®. You will need to schedule a day and time to deliver the gifts directly to them. Thank you for making Christmas better for a wounded warrior family.
* If you have NOT adopted with us before: We are working with previously wounded and back in action, wounded and deployed – both single warriors and families. Some of these warriors have Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and have a little trouble remembering things. Please be patient. Please do not discuss politics or war with them. Please keep it upbeat as most have gone through a lot. Check with your family at any time and be sure to stay in contact with them and discuss their holiday plans as they may be traveling or not around on certain dates. When you meet up with your family to deliver the gifts, please make it a neutral spot unless your military family asks otherwise.
3. Your military family’s information sheet should have sizes and interests listed for all the children of the family. The information should also specify whether the family would prefer clothes or toys. This does not mean you can’t get both! This includes gifts for all members of the family including wounded warrior and spouse.
We ask you to plan to spend $65-$75 per family member to include the Warrior and Spouse. BUT, there is NO limit if you want to spend more! You may also add a gift card to a grocery store or Visa gift card for the family to buy Christmas Dinner for their family. Please do NOT provide any Actual food products at all.
Please make sure sizes (shoes, clothes, etc.) are exactly as the military family has indicated. This is especially true for large groups that adopt a military family. If you want to give more than what is listed, gift cards are wonderful or you can contact the family with additional ideas for gifts in addition to the ones they have listed. Thank you!
4. If you feel comfortable doing so, you are encouraged to include a personal note to the military family. You may include your return address if you are open to the military family contacting you, but it is not required. Your military family may or MAY NOT contact you, depending on their situation or personal choice. Please be sensitive to that.
5. If for some reason you are unable to fulfill your obligation to your military family, please contact Heartbeat immediately via email Janice@heartbeatforwarriors.org or by calling 425-931-1047.
6. Please confirm you received your military family via email with Kendra Giersch, who is the Christmas Wish Coordinator for the adoptions. Kendra will be emailing you the military family that has been assigned to you.
7. Heartbeat will be in contact with you to make sure everything is running smoothly for you. If you are having troubles making contact with your family, please contact: Kendra Giersch at 253-670-9734 or email Kendra@heartbeatforwarriors.org OR Janice Buckley (Founder/President) at 425-931-1047 or email Janice@heartbeatforwarriors.org as soon as possible.
8. Before January 1st, 2018, please email the value of what you spent (this can be rounded off and we do NOT need receipts), so we can track everything for our accountant and send you a tax receipt! Our Federal Tax ID is #03-0547294.
Thank you very much for making a difference this Christmas! You are wonderful!